25.4.18

A Night of Murder


Last night I decided to play a little bit and it turned into a bloodbath. My estimation of the average player in Sea of Thieves has dropped several notches. These people are homicidal sociopaths.

Galleon's Grave Outpost spawn-in.
Starting/Ending Rep - GH 23/23, OS 20/20, MA 20/20
Starting/Ending Gold: 30,945/34,785
Gold Earned: 3,840g

An Evening on the Blood Red Sea: For the Gold Hoarders
"A prize raided by the prominent Cheat Daniels"
Consists of two riddle rhymes, one to the Sunken Grove and the other to the Crooked Masts.

Leave Galleon's Grave, spot shipwreck WNW and decide to check it out.

Coast is clear, dive on the wreck of the Hangman's Hate. Recover 2 Disgraced Bounty Skulls (291g, 337g), Villainous Bounty Skull (967g), and Marauders Chest (514g). Pretty good haul.

Return to Galleon's Grave to sell loot. Run aground like and idiot, patch hull. Sell stuff, buy voyage from Henry (80), grab more supplies.

Go to Sunken Grove. Run aground again. Guess it's not my night.

lotrmith, Consummate PvPer
Coast is clear, head to island and follow clues. Find pig crate. And then another. And a third. Sunken Grove is now known as Pig Crate Island. Also find a gunpowder barrel. Leave the last pig crate and the gunpowder on NW island for later pick up.

Find Captains Chest (786g) just sitting in a cave, not part of the riddle. This is good, because the four clues lead me to a crummy Seafarers Chest (256g). Guess that answers my questions about riddle length corresponding to loot value (apparently it does not).

Return to ship, swing around to NW island to get pig crate and gunpowder barrel. Set course back to Galleon's Grave to sell goods.

Arrive at Galleon's Grave, find banana Crate on beach. Sell loot, then raid all barrels on island for bananas. Fill crate and sell to Mandy for 427g. Not bad for bananas.

Galleon arrives to my port side as I pull out of the dock. A player, lotrmith, boards me as the galleon starts to shell my ship. I protest, "Hey, hey, hey! I don't have anything!" but he kills me, anyway.

Re-spawn into sinking ship, my gunpowder and pig crates floating nearby. Craving revenge, I get floating gunpowder barrel and swim towards galleon, intending to use barrel to destroy or cripple said ship. Intercepted by crew (Oceanrider) and killed again, though I got a few cuts in.

Oceanrider
Of course, Oceanrider was defending her ship from my attempted demolition, but like as not was one of the individuals who shelled my sloop when lotrmith murdered me. She's as guilty as he is. To Davy Jones' locker for both of them!

After my second death, and without a ship to go back to, I respawn on Salty Sands. I spot a shipwreck to the SW. Might as well check it out given my distance from Crooked Masts. After a short jaunt, I arrive at the wreck of the Devil's Rage. Coast is clear so I dive, find a Seafarers Chest (213g) and a Foul bounty Skull (129g). Nothing else visible in wreck.

Set course for Crooked Masts by way of Daggertooth Outpost. Long way to go, but I like sailing so it's all good. When I arrive at Daggertooth, I notice a galleon in the distance on other side of the island. Wonder if it's the same group of dweebs that killed me earlier. Too distant to see their sails.

The Wreck of the Devil's Rage
Figure I should sell my stuff in a hurry, then sail to Crooked Masts. As I approach the island, I notice there's a galleon moored there. Sails are up so I can't tell if they're the guys from before. Instead of dropping anchor, I decide to check out Shark Tooth Key for incidental loots and supplies.

Find nothing but supplies and skeletons on Shark Tooth Key. I watch the galleon leave Crooked Masts, wait to see if they notice me. They seem to be moving off, so I head for the island. The galleon (the same one? Can't tell) is still out there.

Spend the next ten minutes running around Crooked Masts solving riddle clues. Get three out of four done before I notice a galleon off shore. It passes around the island, spots my sloop. I watch from shore as it turns sharply and rams my anchored ship. The crash is followed by a couple of cannon shots. I see people leaping into the water from the galleon.

The Galleon what Rammed My Anchored Sloop
I decide to sit down and wait for someone to find and kill me. No one comes. I find out why as both the galleon and my sloop begin to sail away -- they're stealing my ship. Typical.

My mermaid appears, so I dive down into the water and use it to return to my ship. As I spawn in my cabin, the dweeb who stole it (Trappin Dan) blows me away despite my attempts to engage him in conversation.

I respawn on my ship's deck, with Trappin Dan's back to me. Before I can attack him, he climbs the mainmast to the crow's nest. I pursue him, but he leaps down onto the cabin's awning. I don't even know if he's noticed me yet.

I jump to the yard arm, then onto the awning behind him. His back is still to me so I use my blunderbuss to turn him into fish food (and get rewarded with an achievement for my cowardly behavior). He dies and despawns. I look around and spot his galleon a ways off, sailing away.

Trappin Dan, Killer at Large
I'm unsure what the point of stealing someone's ship is given they can just respawn there. Good old Dan had spent time to repair the hull and bail the water out, so he obviously had something in mind.

As much as I would like to go back to Crooked Masts and solve the last riddle, it's way too late and I need to go to bed.

With each encounter I had with a player, I attempted to use voice chat to speak to them in the hope I could avoid further violence. In each case my attempts to parley made no difference at all. For whatever reason they found it more expedient just to kill me. In both cases, I carried no treasure and nothing of any real value, and they gained no profit from attacking me. It was not only a waste of their time, but of mine as well.

I can only assume these people are sociopaths.

I'm going to start a gallery of villains, killers, and thieves on this blog. Think of it as my personal dweeb collection. Hear that, guys? You're dweebs!

No comments:

Post a Comment